Recently, my daughter’s school declared that parents are no longer allowed to bring in the typical birthday party treats: cupcakes, donuts, or birthday cake. This left me with the challenge of finding healthy, yet fun alternatives. I really wanted to come up with something creative – yet easy and affordable – to make her school birthday celebration special. Here are some of the ideas I found.
Who needs cupcakes? Here are 6 healthy alternatives!
1. Angry Birds Fruit Plate. This idea, featured on Hative.com, will really fly with both boys and girl! It’s easy to make, too. What you need: strawberries, blueberries, cucumbers (or honeydew melon), papaya… and your imagination!
2. Strawberry Aliens. These cute little fruit aliens are out of this world. Found on Weelicious, they were originally created for an “unbake sale.” What you need: whipped light cream cheese, strawberry preserves, large strawberries, mini chocolate chips, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, pineapples cut into small shapes and toothpicks.
3. Emoji Fruit Cups. My daughter and her friends love emojis, so I put these together for her school party. What you need: pineapple fruit cups in 100% juice (not syrup), yellow construction paper, red and black Sharpies, a glue stick. These treats will have your kids smiling!
4. Rainbow Fruit Pizza. This “pizza” is as easy as it gets. The flaky “crust” is a ready-to-bake Pillsbury crescent roll dough, and the “sauce” is vanilla Greek yogurt. Top with a colorful banner of fresh fruit, and you have a playful summer dessert that looks beautiful, tastes wonderful, and is a snap to make! From Well Plated.
5. Frog Fruit Bowl. Put that melon baller to good use! Hop on over to Cookpad for the complete instructions on how to make this adorable fruit bowl. You can also add baby tomatoes!
6. Palm Tree Fruit Plate. Another great idea found on Pinterest, this tropical-themed fruit plate will make the kids feel like you’re on an island vacation! All you need: kiwi, bananas and oranges or clementines. This would also make a great after-school snack.
Leave a Reply