Have you ever been scared to look at your bank account? I’ve been trying so hard to save for a trip to Europe that I stopped going to the mall (pretty much altogether) and cut back on going out. But, between New Year’s Eve and three of my best friends’ birthdays I knew that staying home wasn’t an option. Even though I thought it would be expensive, I didn’t expect to spend as much as I did! I ended up splurging and using New Year’s Eve and the parties as excuses for shopping for things I didn’t need – but really wanted! Unfortunately, after looking at my bank account I have many money regrets! Hopefully you can learn from my mistakes.
How I spent $1,400 in four days.
Day 1: Shopping Disaster
I hadn’t gone clothes shopping or to the mall in about two months and when I finally did I wanted everything…so I bought anything that caught my eye. This shopping day was just supposed to be about finding presents for my friends, but it turned into an over $500 shopping spree! I bought a bunch of small things so I didn’t realize how much I was actually spending, especially since I was using a credit card instead of cash. Here’s my mall spending:
- Frills of East Greenwich (local boutique) – $23.54 for a necklace I still haven’t worn…but it is really pretty!
- New York & Company – $38.52 for two necklaces, earrings, and a belt! They had a 50% off sale so at least it was a deal!
- Elle G (local boutique) – $99.70 for one dress. I wore the dress for my friends birthday. I love it but will probably never wear it again. Whoops.
- Buckle – $89.54 for a new pair of boots that I needed and are great quality. At last! One purchase I don’t regret.
- Beyond the Rack – $59.94 for three sweaters. This was a pretty good deal, except I just got a bunch of sweaters for Christmas and didn’t need them.
- Ulta – $178.69 for makeup and lotion for presents for my friends birthday and another $50 in makeup for me. Again, oops.
- Manicure & Pedicure – $45 I used the upcoming events to splurge on a mani-pedi. I think I forgot I’d already spent enough on myself at the mall!
- Dinner – $30 I went shopping with my friend and we just couldn’t resist a little gossip and dinner after a long shopping day..but we probably should have.
Day 2: New Years Extravaganza
My friend’s birthday is on New Year’s Day and this was the first year he was able to go out and celebrate. For this reason, we went to an event and stayed at a hotel. My friends and I were supposed to split the cost of the room and parking…but that never happened.
Hotel – $173.77 – We booked a Hilton Hotel for four people on my card. While we were supposed to split the cost four ways, my friends still haven’t paid me back.
Event Tickets – $50 – Tickets to the event cost $30 each (but I used a promo code for $5 off each ticket) and I paid for my boyfriend’s ticket because he couldn’t afford to go otherwise.
Drinks and Food – $101.92 – Between buying drinks at the event and pizza after I spent over $100! AH!
Parking $25 Hotel parking was a little crazy and we chose to valet which cost $5 more.
Day 3: Birthday Party 2
My old roommate from college lives right outside of Boston so we decided to go there for her birthday. What I didn’t know was that the bar we were going to was very expensive AND a $40 cab ride from where she lived.
Bar Cover – $50 Again, my boyfriend Derrick came with me and I paid for his cover. It was $30 for boys and $20 for girls.
Dinner – $40 We went to dinner and while it was not that expensive we ended up splitting the bill evenly so that increased the cost.
Bar Tab – $90.52 – I had a tab at the bar and racked up quite the bill. I didn’t think I’d spent this much but it added up quick!
Taxis – $80 – With tip I spent $40 on a taxi each way. Craziness!
Day 4: Birthday Party 3
My friend decided to have her birthday party in Boston and since she doesn’t live there we stayed at a hotel. We also went out to dinner (pricey) and breakfast the next day. I had a ton of fun..but it came at a high price.
Hotel- $45 We split a hotel room between 4 people per room. Luckily, we actually split it this time!
Parking – $40 We were supposed to split parking but again, that didn’t end up being the case. Hotel parking is expensive!
Dinner – $70 We decided to split dinner evenly and cover the birthday girls dinner. Even though I tried to order on the cheaper side splitting the bill made my dinner choice a little irrelevant.
Taxis – $20 Taxis weren’t as expensive since the bar was very close to our hotel. Only $20 each way.
Bar Cover – $20 Just to get into the bar to it cost $20 and when we got there no one was even there yet. Ugh!
Bar Tab – $52.73 I only had two drinks but they were expensive and I bought a drink for my sister and the friend whose birthday it was. It’s easy to add to a tab and not realize how much you’re spending. Lesson learned. Again.
Breakfast – $25.32 – For this breakfast we got separate bills but the hotel breakfast was a little overpriced and we got mimosas.
Total : $253.05
Total Spending in Four Days : $1,429.19
Having to tally up my spending made me realize how much money I spent on nothing! I don’t regret the experiences but seeing those numbers add up (and seeing how little I really got for my money) made me feel a little sick. I’m wondering if I’m the only one who has made these kind of mistakes. Have you?