You have probably increased your hand washing by roughly 1000% in the last few weeks, as you (we all) should. And while that’s great for limiting the transmission of the coronavirus, it comes with a distinct downside: dry, cracking skin. I feel your pain. One of my knuckles is literally splitting open and bleeding as I type this.
Not washing our hands is not an option, of course, so it’s time to find the best, most moisturizing hand lotions possible. These are all affordable and easy to find (relatively speaking, in current circumstances). You’re going to be using a lot over the next few months, so no expensive, boutique options here.
The 10 Best Affordable Hand Creams to Soothe Your Dry Hands
- Neutrogena Norwegian Hand Formula: This is a classic and it never fails me. Use less than you think you need because a little goes a long way. This is best for nighttime use because it does leave your hands pretty sticky. (Note: if your hands are in really bad shape, this might sting the first couple uses. But that will go away as your skin improves.
- O’Keeffe’s Working Hands Hand Cream: Another classic with a diehard following. Several Amazon reviewers call this “a miracle product.” I find this absorbs faster than the Neutrogena, but some might still prefer it for overnight use. This also comes in a tube formula.
- CeraVe Therapeutic Hand Cream: This absorbs quickly and is great for using several times a day. It won’t leave your hands greasy, but it will keep them soft and moisturized.
- Eucerin Advanced Repair Hand Cream: Non-greasy, no irritating fragrance, and extremely effective. What’s not to like? Eucerin Advanced Repair Lotion is also pretty great. (It’s hard to go wrong with anything by Eucerin.)
- Coconut oil: That’s right, plain old coconut oil – straight out of your kitchen – is a fantastic heavy duty moisturizer. Pair it with a some gloves at night and you’ll wake up to smooth, happy hands in the morning.
- Aveeno Skin Relief Intense Moisture Hand Cream: A solid, daily hand cream that will bring quick relief to your painfully cracked hands. It absorbs quickly so you won’t leave a trail of grease stains on everything you touch.
- Vaseline Clinical Care Extremely Dry Skin Rescue: This is a current favorite of mine. You can slather it on at night for intensive moisturizing or use a lighter touch during the day. It’s fragrance free and extremely affordable.
- Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Hand Cream: This is my mother-in-law’s favorite (and she gardens all day long, so her hands can get in really rough shape). Note that this one does have fragrance.
- Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel Hand Cream with Hyaluronic Acid: This has kind of a cult following, for good reason: it strikes that perfect sweet spot between lightweight and yet extremely hydrating. It’s hard to find right now, but Walmart and Ulta still have it in stock.
- Love Beauty and Planet Rose Hand Cream: If you want something that smells delicious but is more than just a pretty fragrance, this is your lotion. Use sparingly, as it’s very concentrated.
How are you keeping your hand moisturized during this health crisis? Leave your tips and recommendations in the comments below!
This post contains affiliate links.