Now is the time where everywhere you go, everything seems to be pumpkin spice flavored. This year, there seem to be more items than ever: pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin butter, pumpkin ice cream… even pumpkin spice flavored pumpkin seeds. But which items are the best value – in terms of taste as well as price? We took the challenge and went shopping.
These are our favorite deals on everything pumpkin spice.
1. Pumpkin bread mix. You can splurge on the $9.99 bag of pumpkin bread mix by Pamela’s at Whole Foods (don’t forget to add in the cost of the can of pumpkin!) but we like Pillsbury’s Pumpkin Bread Mix – no can required – which is $7.98 for a set of 2 mixes at Walmart.
2. Pumpkin macarons. These tasty pop-in-your-mouth treats make for a classy party dessert. The ones at the Whole Foods’ bakery are $2 apiece, but Trader Joe’s sells a 12-piece package in the frozen section for $4.99.
3. Pumpkin pasta sauce. Our favorite brand is Cucina Antica Tuscany Pumpkin Pasta Sauce. It sells for $7.49 at Whole Foods, but we found it at Target for $5.99. Prefer a cheesier taste? World Market’s pumpkin pasta sauce is only $3.99 on sale.
4. Pumpkin ravioli. A fall favorite, this sweet dinner ravioli by Trader Joe’s is $3.49 (serves roughly 2 people), which is certainly less than what you’d pay in a restaurant! (Pair with the pumpkin pasta sauce, above.)
5. Pumpkin yogurt. Brands vary, taste varies. We found Yoplait’s version at Walmart for $.58, Dannon Oikos yogurt for $1.00, also at Walmart, and Trader Joe’s Greek yogurt for $1.29. We liked the Trader Joe’s brand best.
6. Chai pumpkin spice tea. You can splurge at The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, or you can make a cup at home. The tastiest we found was Tazo Chai Pumpkin Spice Tea Latte, available at Target for $2.99 for 32 oz.
7. Pumpkin butter. This seasonal spread is a yummy alternative to jelly. We found it at Trader Joe’s for $2.29 for 10 oz. and at Target (Archer Farms brand), also for $2.29 for 9.5 oz. You’ll pay more at World Market for Oregon Grower’s $3.99 12 oz. jar.
8. Gluten-free pumpkin bread mix. For those avoiding gluten, the prices tend to jump up a bit. Whole Food’s XO Baking Mix’s gluten-free pumpkin bread mix will run you $7.99 but we thought Trader Joe’s mix for $3.99 was a winner.
9. Pumpkin cookie butter. $2.29 at Trader Joe’s will buy you a little taste of heaven. Trust us.
10. Coffee-Mate Pumpkin Spice Creamer. We found this on sale for $2.99 for 32 oz. at Ralphs/Kroger. Have a delicious pumpkin spice flavored coffee for considerably less than Starbucks.
What are your favorite pumpkin spice deals?