Summer is the perfect time to sit outside and sip cocktails…but cocktails can be pretty pricey. If you’re looking to have fun on a budget a cocktail party is a great way to do so. It’s actually cheaper than having everyone over for dinner. Not convinced? Check out our six tips for having a cocktail party on a budget.
6 tips to throwing a frugal cocktail party
1. Themed Bar – A great way to save on drinks is by choosing drink recipes that contain similar ingredients or the same main form of alcohol. For example, you could choose to have a mojito party theme. This list of 10 awesome mojito recipes offers 10 recipes made with the same rum combined with other (less expensive) ingredients. Instead of limiting variety of drinks, you can limit the types of alcohol.
If you love the idea of a mojito themed party here’s a fun summery drink for you to try called the White Mojito. This drink is perfect for a hot summer day spent by the beach or pool. Yum!
1.5 oz. Captain Morgan White® Rum
.5 oz. fresh lime juice
.5 oz. simple syrup
fresh mint, muddled
fresh limes, cut into small pieces
1 oz. club soda
1 mint sprig
Directions: Put all ingredients except club soda and mint sprig into a mixing glass. Add ice and shake vigorously. Add club soda, shake once, and pour into a tall glass. Garnish with a mint sprigs.
2. Ask Friends to Bring Ingredients – Since the drinks you’ll be making require a variety of ingredients ask friends to help out. Explain that you are providing the main ingredients rum, simple syrup, and club soda but would appreciate it they could bring an item to add to the mix. Asking friends to pick up some fresh fruit, herbs, or a bottle of soda won’t seem like much to them, but will create big savings for you AND add tons of flavor to your drinks.
3. Consider Using Mixers – Mixers can be less expensive than making your own drinks at home. If you’re having a huge party it might be more cost effective (and less stressful) to buy a mixer than to make them from scratch.
4. Make Your Own Snacks – Making food can seem hard but quick appetizers are easier to make than you may think…and less expensive than ordering out. Choose recipes that are quick with just a few ingredients to keep the cost and workload low. Make homemade fries, crostini with dip, or cheese and crackers. You can also appeal to those with a sweet tooth by making homemade cookies, fudge, or putting out an ice cream bar. If you’re feeling creative you can make homemade ice cream sandwiches. Yum! Don’t worry it’s easier than you might think. This recipe puts a fun twist on a traditional ice cream sandwich by using Häagen-Dazs’s new gelato flavor, Pomegranate Swirl and white chocolate chip cookies.
Häagen-Dazs Pomegranate Swirl
Homemade white chocolate chip cookies
All you have to do is put one scoop of ice cream between two white chocolate chip cookies and your sandwich is finished. Nice and easy!
5. Make Sangria or Party Punch – There’s a reason that these two drinks are party favorites..they’re easy to make and delicious! Even better, they’re inexpensive. Even cheap wine, can make a great sangria when mixed with fresh fruit and soda. Party punch is just as easy! This party punch recipe contains only six ingredients and one type of alcohol. Simple and cheap!
6. Send FREE invitations – Party invitations can be expensive but there are many sites that offer free e-vites. Not only are these a great way to save money (what’s better than free!?) but they also make RSVPing easy for guests. This will help you get a true headcount and save you money by preventing you from buying more than you need.