Who wouldn’t love to start the new year off with a little more money in their pocket? I know I would. Whether you’d like to travel more or save for your child’s education, a little extra income can make this possible. Earlier this year we shared 12 ways to make money quickly. With the holidays over I’ve got a little more free time and with some effort this can be turned into more money.
Here are six ways to make more money this year.
1. Pet-Sitting – If you have a pet or love animals this is a great way to make extra cash. The best part is you can make money just by being at home. The website DogVacay connect hosts with pet-owners who are traveling and want to make sure their pet is in a loving environment. Basically, you watch their pet at your own home with rates starting at $25 a night. Sweet deal!
2. Yard Sale or Craig’s List – Bargain Babe just shared how to have a successful indoor yard sale which shows how you can make money on items you already have. I have accumulated a ton of books that I’ve collect over the years that I know I’ll never read again. I sold series and books by the same author (usually in groups of three) for around $5-$10 depending on the quality of the book and made over a $100. While it took about two weeks to sell them, all the extra cash made it well worth the time.
3. Rent Out Parking – Do you live in a city or an area where parking is limited? If you don’t have a car or have an extra parking space you can rent out this space to score some extra cash. My old high school had very limited parking so not every senior student would get a spot. Nearby houses would rent out parking spaces to students for around $100 a year. During college I paid $175 for a commuter parking class and sometimes would still spend an 45 minutes to an hour searching for parking. If a nearby house had offered parking, I would have jumped at the chance to save that time looking for a spot. So if you live near a college, high school, or in a city this could be a great option.
4. Sell Crafts – Do you have a special skill or talent? Does everyone love your homemade ornaments, pillows, or soaps? Then selling your crafts could be a great way to make extra money. While this isn’t likely to earn you a ton of cash (unless you make it into a full-time job or business) it can help to add a little room in your monthly budget. Etsy is a great way to start selling your handmade products. If you’re not crafty but like the idea of making money from home, check out these tips on ways to make money at home.
5. Smart Phone Apps – Have you heard of apps such as Shopkick and Ibotta that allow you to earn money while at the store? Ibotta is a cash back app that allows you to get money back on purchases. When you open Ibotta and select a store you will be shown the store’s various Ibotta offers. You then choose a product and complete a task for the offer. Tasks range from sharing on Facebook and Twitter to answering quick survey questions. Depending on how many tasks you complete the more pending cash will be in your account. You unlock these earnings by purchasing the product in a selected store. Once you’ve earned $5 you can transfer it to PayPal. Shopkick is different because it gives you rewards just for walking into stores. Kicks are like rewards points that you collect by walking in or scanning items at stores near you. While scanning items can be tedious (and time-consuming) you can rack up points quickly and there is no purchase necessary. While you can’t get straight cash Shopkick allows you to redeem kicks for gift cards at major retailers.
6. Donate Plasma – You can donate plasma twice a week for about $35 a visit. Not only is this a great way to make a little extra cash but it also helps people in need. The process is similar to donating blood and takes about 1-2 hours.
How do you make extra cash?