I had to jump in and answer Dacia’s question about which credit card to get with an entire post about my favorite credit card. Yup, that’s how awesome my Capital One credit card is.
10 reasons I love my credit card
1. I earn 1% back on EVERYTHING I spend. There’s no fine print about 3% on groceries for these two hours, or 5% back on gasoline for one day a year. I don’t enjoy jumping through hoops and my spending habits are fairly consistent, so using a revolving-cash back credit card isn’t for me. I love that my Capital One card is hassle-free, stress-free money I earn for spending!
2. The security on the card is ridiculous. I noticed this as soon as I got the card. I began receiving emails and actual phone calls from Capital One to verify purchases and ask if I had noticed any suspicious activity. I like knowing that they are so vigilant – I’m not the only one monitoring my account.
3. I can set email alerts to further enhance the security on the card. For instance, I set up a security alert anytime there is a charge from a foreign country on my card (like if I’m traveling internationally or purchasing something online from a company based abroad, like Skype). I also set up an email alert anytime there is a purchase of more than $300. I like getting email alerts because it reminds me to monitor my balance and the charges.
4. My 1% cash back reward turns into more money if I redeem it as a gift card. I recently received an email that said I can get a 10-20% off discount on certain gift cards. Basically, that means instead of paying face value for a gift card, I get a free bonus. For example, it will only cost me $45 to get a $50 gift card to TJ Maxx/Marshalls, one of my favorite stores. And since I’m using the rewards cash I’ve earned, I’m not paying a cent. Suh-weet! Here are the discounts from my email:
- Bath & Body Works—20% off
- Fandango—20% off
- Outback Steakhouse—20% off
- AMC Theatres—10% off
- Bass Pro Shops—10% off
- Hyatt Hotels—10% off
- L.L.Bean—10% off
- Options (Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy)—10% off
- P.F. Chang’s—10% off
- T.J.Maxx/Marshalls/ HomeGoods—10% off
5. I customized my card by choosing a bright green frog design – one of dozens available. There are landscapes, animals, foods, flags, spiritual images, trains, sports, and abstract images to chose from. You can also upload a photo to make it truly one of a kind! It’s a small thing, but you wouldn’t believe how many compliments I get. Plus, it’s easy to find in my wallet because the green is so bright.
6. The website is easy to use and I can log in to check my charges, pay a bill, or print out past statements (I get estatements to cut down on the amount of mail I have to process and shred.) I used the website to set up auto pay, which means I get an email each month saying my statement is ready to review, but if I don’t have time to log in, my bill will still be paid in full, on time.
7. My Capital one credit card is a Mastercard, so I can use it anywhere.
8. I can get estatements, so I never have to open another credit card bill again! Hehehe, well, at least not a paper bill. I love not having to shred my monthly statements and not having to file them. They are available anytime, online going back FIVE years.
9. In additional to my log in password, there are three security questions to review sensitive information, making the account secure. The site also times out after 15 minutes, in case I forget to log off.
10. I can view my charges by category, which is useful when I want to see where I’m spending my money and where I need to tighten up my spending. I can also view just my fees, my interest charges, and my payments.