I swoon over Anthropologie’s bohemian-inspired clothing and shabby chic home decor, but dislike the store’s high prices. (Apparently, you do too. Saving money at Anthropologie was a common response when we asked our Facebook fans what store they wanted to shop at.) Though saving money at Anthropologie can be fleeting, there are ways to do so. I share my cost-cutting strategies below.
Here are 8 tips to help you save money at Anthropologie.
1. Sign up for ANTHRO. This is NOT a credit card, but a loyalty card like the ones you have for the grocery store. You’ll receive a birthday discount, two free shipping periods a year (more on this below), and advance notice of sales and special promotions. To receive your birthday discount, you must enroll in ANTHRO at least 60 days prior to your birth date. Your birthday discount is good for 15% off any one purchase during your birthday month. I repeat, 15% off one purchase, not one item. What other clothing store does that?
2. Shop online with coupon codes. Google “Anthropologie coupon code” to find discounts. Also, make sure to link your ANTHRO card with your online Anthropology account to score free shipping (usually without a minimum). If your card and account are not linked you’ll have to pay for shipping.
3. Earn cash back with each purchase. Anthropologie does NOT have a store credit card, but you can still earn cash back by shopping with a card that gives you a percentage back for each purchase. Just make sure to pay if off completely when the bill arrives to avoid racking up interests. Sadly, I haven’t found a site that gives you cash back by shopping through them — not even my good ol’ standby Ebates!
4. Shop Anthropologie’s clearance section. This is the first room I hit when I walk into any Anthropologie store. You’ll find discounted clothes, shoes, accessories, and home items! Make sure to check back often as the stock changes often. Some clearance items may be dirty or have small defects after being picked over, so check items before buying them and ask for an additional discount if you find a blemish.
Tip: Start a wishlist online at Anthropologie.com and whenever an item on your list goes on sale you’ll be notified. Even after items are sold out, if the item is later returned it usually ends up being discounted.
5. Buy discounted gift cards. This is the easiest way to save money at the vintage-inspired store. Find gift cards online at up to 35% the face value (shop around to find the best deal)! Julia scored a hot Anthropologie deal a while back by using a discounted gift card. Find out what she scored!
6. Score the employee discount. If you really love Anthropologie, you should work there! Employees get a generous discount — I’ve heard it’s 40% off! Consider earning some extra cash and a discount by working at the store during the holidays. Psst… It also pays off to have a friend who works at the store.
7. Price compare. Many of the same clothes sold at Anthropologie are also sold at other stores. Brands like Citizens of Humanity, Bordeaux, and One September can be found at Nordstroms, sometimes for less.
8. Get the look for less. Did you know Urban Outfitters owns Anthropologie? You may want to peek into Urban Outfitters to find similar styles for less.
How do you save money when shopping Anthropologie?