Father’s Day is a day to let Dad know how much you appreciate him. It’s not about shopping or spending big bucks – it’s about showing your love in creative, special ways. We’ve put together some of our favorite DIY ideas.
Here are 7 Homemade Gift Ideas for Dad.
- Soy Candle Making. What you need: 1 bag of soy flakes (from Michael’s Arts and Crafts or a similar store), six crayons, Dixie cups, candle scent if desired, glass cups (99 Cents Only Stores), toothpicks and candle wicks. Glue gun the wick to the bottom of the glass before you start. Broken crayons go in cup first, then top with a few scoops of the soy flakes. Add some scent drops if you want, then put in the microwave for 2 1/2 minutes at a time. The grand total: under $8 with a coupon for Michael’s.
- Personalized Chef’s Hat and Apron. For the dad who likes to barbecue or cook, you can pick up a plain white cook’s apron and chef’s hat from Bed, Bath & Beyond or various cooking stores and then have the kids decorate it with fabric paint, signing their names or adding their handprints. This is a gift that will be treasured for years.
- Homemade Father’s Day Cupcakes. Check out this previous Bargain Babe post for a truly creative take on cupcake decorating! (Hint: these ones look like hamburgers!)
- Photo Shirts. By Yoshirt. Take any photo of your kids and make it into the most amazing photo-realistic shirt you’ve ever seen by using the Yoshirt app. A guaranteed conversation starter!
- Flipagram. My kids love this easy app which allows them to turn photos into a music video/slide show. Even kids 9 and younger seem to be able to figure it out. A thoroughly original, creative idea – and it’s free!
- Breakfast in Bed. Moms aren’t the only ones who enjoy breakfast in bed. Help the kids whip up some heart-shaped pancakes, fresh-squeezed orange juice or maybe a toasted bagel with cream cheese and lox. And don’t forget the coffee!
- Daddy/Daughter Frame. From Baste + Gather. This is a fairly inexpensive but totally personal and creative gift. Shadow boxes are available from Michael’s and Bed, Bath and Beyond.
- Wash Dad’s Car. This is a fun activity the kids can enjoy and guaranteed Dad will love a clean car!