Looking for a great Halloween costume for cheap? Make your own! Check out some of these great Halloween sewing ideas. Looking for tons of Halloween pumpkin carving ideas? We have 24 more unique pumpkin carving ideas for Halloween. And another 12 totally unique pumpkin carving ideas for Halloween.
Here are 47 fun Halloween costumes for 2012! Thank you to everyone who suggested a costume idea!
What are you going to dress up as?
1. Get a large trash bag, cut holes in for legs and arms, then fill out around you with assorted bottles, cans, etc. and go as a Recyclable. Your costume is worth money! – Lisa
2. Wear a long orange dress, and tie several pieces of fern to your head. You are a carrot! – Lynda
3. Preggo? Wear an old girl scouts uniform with a sign: It’s the Boy Scouts who are supposed to be prepared. – Lynda
4. Dress all in green and attach blown up green balloons with safety pins all over your chest and arms. Go as a bunch of grapes! (This also works in purple.) – Georgie
5. Dress in brown. Attach the branches from a fake Christmas tree all over your body. (You can also make branches out of cardboard that has been spray painted green.) Hang battery-powered lights, ornaments, and candy canes to your branches. Wrap shoe boxes and attach to your feet for presents. You’ve caught the holiday spirit! – Hillary
6. Here’s a costume for a pregnant woman and a guy. The guy wears a wife-beater Tee, khaki’s and bare feet. The pregnant woman dresses slightly slutty, with Cheetos and a Red Bull. You are Britney and K-Fed. – Debra
7. Forgot your costume? No you didn’t. You are dressed as apathy. -Debra
8. Grab a black trash bag and attach individual cereal boxes being stabbed with plastic knives. You’re a cereal killer.
9. Wrap yourself creatively in Aluminum foil and go as a Leftover. (Works best on a child, not as much foil is used.)
10. Get an old laundry basket and cut the bottom out. Use bathrobe waistbands or long scarves for straps, wear a simple t-shirt and pin clean assorted clothes in abundance to the shirt. A bra or other “embarrassing” article of clothing over the head adds humor, an empty bottle of detergent or softener completes the look.
11. Wear reddish brown sweat shirt and matching sweat pants. With felt and glue, make brown, beige and white bumps. Cover the wearer’s entire backside with bumps. On the front, cut lots of fringes from light-colored felt and attach with glue. You can even make a pointy hat and texture it the same way.
12. Dress all in red. Grab fake white fur and black Naugahyde from a craft store if you don’t have it at home. Convert the white fur into a beard and the black Naugahyde into a belt to make a Santa suit! Add a store bought hat or use one from your collection of Christmas decorations. Bonus if you pair up with a Christmas tree!
13. Blow up different colored balloons. Create a bubble around yourself with staples and clear plastic sheeting. (Leave holes for your head and arms.) Stuff the balloons into the bubble, then close the opening. You are a bag of Jelly Beans!
14. Dress all in red, with a Santa hat on your head. Carry a red bucket and a ring a hand bell. You’re a Salvation Army peddler!
15. Dust off that tacky 80s prom dress (or pick one up at a thrift store) and puff out your hair so it is BIG. (Bonus points for crimping a few locks). Wear lots of bright eyeshadow, lipstick, and bold jewelry. If you can find a crown either at the thrift store or a dollar store you are the perfect prom queen!
16. Pull on a dorky looking shirt and khaki pants that are too big for you. Grab suspenders, thick lensed glasses (wrap tape around the nose part), pocket protector, calculator, math books and put your clothes on as nerdy looking as possible, shirt tucked in, zipper on pants left open, pants pulled up high and you have to play nerdy too. Plus brush your hair to the side or wear it as you wouldnt normally. Nerd!
17. Find a tropical shirt, khacki shorts, wear long socks pulled up over calves, get a big straw sun hat, wear a camera around neck, map in shirt pocket & sunglasses. You are a tourist!
18. Find scrubs in the thrift store or borrow a pair. Dress it up with other medical accessories either from the thrift store or a toy store (cheaper than buying real medical supplies) Wear with sneakers and you’re set. Doctor? Nurse? Midwife? You pick.
19. Find clothes you won’t mind ripping a bit. Use safety pins to hold the ripped parts together. Use real dirt or dark make up to dirty the clothes. Find a wig at the thrift store that looks “dirty.” Look for something you can use as a hobo bag, like an old broom then find a cloth to make a bag at the end of the stick.vBe sure to make your face dirty and use a black out crayon to black out some of your teeth.
20. My friends and I once went as the Scooby Doo gang: Shaggy, Freddie, Daphne and Velma. We were able to find most everything we needed for our costumes at thrift stores, including Scooby (a stuffed animal that we carried with us). Basically you just need a white shirt and blue pants for Freddie, green shirt and brown pants for Shaggy, tall boots and a 60s style dress (purple if possible) for Daphne and glasses, an orange turtleneck, red-orange skirt and orange knee socks for Velma (the most difficult costume of the group, IMO) Stick together and everyone will know who you are.
21. Wear white and safety pin on a large black “P” to your chest. Give yourself a black eye with make up. You’re a black eyed pea!
22. Take a light bulb, color it yellow, and attach it to a head band. What a bright idea!
23. Find a deal on bags of cotton or fuzzy material and glue them onto a white or gray T-shirt. Cut out a large lightening bolt from a cardboard box and paint or color yellow. You are a storm cloud!
24. Dress all in gray. Pin small pieces of clean laundry all over your body. You are static cling!
25. Dress all in brown. Afix plastic leaves of red, orange, yellow and green to your body. You are autumn! Bonus points for affixing nuts and pine cones.
26. Using double sided tape, stick bars of candy, Advil, and other items you commonly see at vending machines to your top. Dress in all black and attach a small canister with a coin slot to your upper arm. Through the night, ask if anyone wants to buy something from your vending machine. (Two years ago I dressed up as a vending machine and made a few dollars!)
27. Cut armholes out of a paper recycling leaf bag and attach fake autumn leaves purchased from a dollar store. Rim the top of the bag with leaves as if they were coming out the top. Tape individual leaves onto your arms, legs, shoes, etc. Make a leaf crown for your head. You are a bag of leaves!
28. Turn both feet into pots of gold using gold-painted boxes with chocolate coins stuck to the top. Wear rainbow print leggings or tights and a shirt with more rainbow patterns. Who doesn’t love a double rainbow?!
29. Get a beige or brown t-shirt and cut fringe from the bottom up on the hem and sleeves (cut the bands off first). Cut the neck into a V shape. You can also use two t-shirts and layer them for more fringe. Braid your hair. Wrap the ends with the pieces of hem from the t-shirt, and tie a headband around your head with a feather or two glued or stapled on. Wear leggings on the bottom with boots or moccasins if you have them, or use brown knee socks with whatever shoes you will be wearing. Of if weather permits, wear sandals. If you can find some Indian-style beads, add them as an accessory. Carry a bow and arrow, if you have one. You are Pocahontas!
30. Be a crazy World Cup fan by stringing a few vuvuzelas around your neck, wearing your team’s soccer uniform, and making plenty of noise.
31. Sport a upper crusty yacht outfit and carry a black, oily substance in a jar that you spill randomly. Deny all allegations and mumble things like, “I want my life back!” You are former BP CEO Tony Hayward.
32. Whether or not you have rock hard abs, dress up as the super hot guy in the Old Spicecommercials. Wrap yourself in a towel and carry a bottle of Old Spice. If you’re out of shape, wear a t-shirt printed with fake abs.
33. Wear tan sweats and matching hoodie. Glue geometric shapes made out of brown felt all over your body. With masking tape, afix tall ears made out of construction paper to your hood. Make horns from foil and cover them with electrical tape. Make a tail out of rope with black yarn attached to the end. Glue a little of the black yard between your ears. You are a giraffe.
34. Financial whizzes need only wrap a lightweight dollhouse in chains or ropes to make this costume work. Pair a business suit with a briefcase and strap the house to your back. For an added touch, paint your face black and blue. You are a mortgage-backed security.
35. You’ll need a decent suit for this one, but what really makes this costume work is the golden parachute, made by spray painting a bed sheet gold and allowing it to peak out of a backpack. You can stuff fake bills in your pockets but be prepared to lose them over the evening to costumed Job Seekers. You are a Corporate CEO.
36. Top an all-black ensemble with a large lampshade and you’ll light-up the party. You are literally a lamp!
37. Braid your hair with wire so it sticks out in one direction and glue the wire to a scarf. Wrap the scarf around your neck and extend it in the same direction as your hair. Poke the wire through the hem of a skirt and bend it in the same direction as the hair and scarf. For added affect, walk at an angle. You are windblown!
38. This is an easy one. Hang a large picture frame around your neck. If you want to make it complicated, consider dressing up as a specific work of art, such as the Mona Lisa or a Van Gogh self-portrait. What a work of art you are!
39. Strap a baby doll to your rear end and sit on it. Sick, but easy. You’re a babysitter.
40. Douse yourself in water and carry a scarf, carrot and two sticks. Repeat soaking yourself throughout the night. You are a melted snowman.
41. Golfers will love this easy costume. Just cut a large numeral 1 out of a piece of cardboard and cut a hole in the middle of the 1. Attach the cardboard to your chest and let them guess. Hole-in-one!
42. Wear all black and glue postage stamps to your chest. Blackmail!
44. Dress all in yellow, the more fitted the better. Sew or glue on yellow feathers all over. Make feet out of two yellow dishwashing gloves. Bock bock!You’re a chicken!
45. Pregnant? Slap on a tacky cap, a soiled, fitted white tank top, slouchy jeans, and carry around a can of beer. You’re a guy with a beer belly!
46. Cut out a giant shoe shape from cardboard. Spray paint it your color of choice. Cut out two long stems from cardboard and spray paint them the same color. Cut a hole in between the big toe and the next toe and tie down the stems. Attach the other end of the stem to either side of the shoe print, making yourself one giant flip flop. Lean to the left, lean to the right. You are a flip flopper!
47. Make a traditional nurse’s white cap out of sturdy paper and afix a red cross to the front. Pull on an Obama mask and you are Obamacare!
What are you going to be for Halloween?
- 24 pumpkin carving ideas for Halloween
- Another 12 unique pumpkin carving ideas for Halloween
- 19 totally different Halloween pumpkin carving ideas