id=— Universal Wrapping Paper
I love getting presents. Don’t you? I especially thrilled if someone has taken the time and effort to make the wrapping special. The more unique the wrapping, the more special the gift. However, the last time I walked into a Hallmark store, I was taken aback by the fact that the wrapping paper now cost more than the gift that I was going to give. Well, that just won’t do. I went off to find a new gift wrapping idea.
I just adore this idea by Fabio Milito & Francesca Guidotti. It is universal wrapping paper: a word search puzzle with common reasons for gifts such as: Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday, and Congratulations. You use this for wrapping paper and then circle the appropriate saying.
If that is not unique enough for you, then you can make your own word puzzle at Discovery Education’s Puzzle Maker. Using this handy little application, you can custom create word puzzles. They can be big or small. Easy or hard.
Here is how you do this:
- Enter the title of your word search puzzle. You can have up to 49 letters. These words will be at the top of your puzzle, so make sure it makes sense.
- Enter the size of your word search puzzle, up to 40 x 40 letters. For wrapping paper it will be good to go to the biggest number. However, unless you are REALLY good at word puzzles, I suggest you start with something smaller, like 10 x 10.
- Word search puzzle options. You can use each letter only once, shared occasionally or shared often. It is easiest if you only use each letter once.
- Word search puzzle output type. Here they want to know how you are going to use the finished puzzle. Mark HTML if you are going to print straight from the screen. Mark “text” if you are going to copy the puzzle and make it part of another piece of artwork like in photoshop. Mark “lowercase” if you want the letters to be lower case instead of capitals.
- Enter your words. This is the fun part. Put in words that go with your gift recipient’s life – friends and family names, occupation, pet names, favorite places, etc. These are the words that are going to go into the puzzle.
- Click on “Create my puzzle.” You will now go to the page where your puzzle has been created. If you realize that you should have answered the questions differently, you can click the back button and make changes. You can do this any number of times. However, once you print the puzzle you can’t go back again. You need to start a whole new puzzle.
This is a fun application. You can use this to make wrapping paper, cards or just something fun to entertain the kids while they are waiting for dinner to be ready. If you need some instruction on how to wrap a present, you can go to this lovely article at Real Simple. It’s always fun to give someone a present. Use this idea even if it is just a “Happy Monday” present.