Reader jimd emailed me with a money question I had never heard before – and had no idea how to answer!
Julia, do you plan or know of sites geared to the social security crowd when it comes to coupons? Anyway, I like your work, and it helps put food on the table. jimd 62 and counting….
Do you have any recommendations for jimd?
Readers had some great suggestions for jimd. Here are some of the top responses we received.
1) Many restaurants and retailers offer discounts on certain days. For example, on Tuesdays Ross’ Dress for Less offers a senior discount.
2) Use the websites retiredbrains.com and seniordiscounts.com to get free information about senior discounts. Paying to register for these sites is not necessary to access information.
3) There is a list of restaurants that offer discounts on retiredbrains.com. Some of these restaurants include: Appelbee’s, Arby’s, Bakers Square, Boston Market, Burger King, Carl’s Jr., Chick-fil-A, Chili’s, Church’s Chicken, Coco’s, Country Kitchen, Dairy Queen, Denny’s, Dunkin Donuts, El Pollo Loco, Fuddruckers, Golden Corral, Hardees, Home Town Buffet, IHOP, Jack in the Box, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Krystals, Long John Silver’s, McDonald’s, Ponderosa, Popeye’s, Shoney’s, Sizzler, Sonic, Taco Bell, Village Inn, and Wendy’s.
4) Ask if there is a senior discount before ordering at restaurants or purchasing items.
5) Most restaurant discounts for seniors range from 10%-20% Off
6) Age qualification for senior discounts varies. The age you qualify for senior discounts varies. It’s usually over 50 but it can be over 60 or even 65. Asking the age range is also a good way to see if you qualify for discounts.
7) Check the websites of your favorite brands and restaurants. Often, they will mention if they offer discounts for seniors or military members.
8) Theaters often have discounted tickets for seniors. If they do not have discounted tickets ask if they have a seniors night. The Laemmle Theatres in L.A. have special senior prices for Wednesday matinee.
9)There are also lists of grocery store and retailers that offer senior discounts. Some retailers that offer senior discounts include: Clarks, Dress Barn, Goodwill, Hallmark,Kohl’s, Modell’s Sporting Goods, Rite Aid and many more. A few of the grocery stores that offer senior discounts are: Harris Teeter, Hy-Vee, Kroger, Pathmark, The Plant Shed, Publix. Check out the full lists with discounts and age ranges on retiredbrain.com.