I just scored a cashmere sweater for 99 cents at the 99 cent store. Yep. A cashmere sweater for less than a dollar! This unbelievable discount got me thinking about my Bargain Hall of Fame.
I find bargains every day, but sometimes my finds are special. Here are my personal top 10 best buys:
- Brand new original Leatherman tool for $1.50. Retailed for $50 (but it is retired and you can’t even buy it anymore except as a collector’s item).
- Sewing machine (like new) for free on Freecycle.
- Large box FULL of jewelry (including a gold ring) for $20. My daughter had a field day taking the jewelry apart and redesigning it. I often wonder if the man that sold me this box of jewelry got in trouble with his wife.
- Three giant garbage bags full of clothes at swap-o-rama-rama. Entrance fee was a bag of my clothes and $5. My favorite way to get new clothes is at a swap.
- Wooden swing set with slide, fort and two swings for $200. Retail cost $2,200. We got years of fun out of this swing set in two different States. We finally sold it to someone else for $150.
- The afore mentioned cashmere sweater for 99 cents – retail price $255 at Nordstrom. It’s a super soft sweater as you can see from the picture.
- Hundreds of dollars worth of fake flowers for $15 at an estate sale. I later used these flowers in a craft tent at a huge children’s festival.
- A David’s Bridal bridesmaid’s gown for $20. Retail $220. This gown is now part of my daughter’s costume collection.
- Fixing my car horn, cruise control and air bag for free under factory recall. Savings of at least $500 dollars.
- Buying my home in a short sale for half of what the previous owner paid for it. BIG savings.
Those are my Bargain Hall of Fame nominees. How about you? What are your best bargains ever?