Later this afternoon my producer Erin and I are setting out to find – and film – a Lincoln Lunch in Los Angeles. What’s a Lincoln Lunch? A $5 meal named after the dead President that graces the fiver. I strongly believe that it is possible to find a tasty Lincoln Lunch in any city and someday I hope to test this claim!
I used to find and write about one Lincoln Lunch every week for my column in the LA Daily News. Now I’m reviving my hunt for lunch deals, but this time it will be on video. We hope to publish the “video blog post” within a week of filming it.
To whet your appetite and help you find a Lincoln Lunch in your own ‘hood, here are a few factors to consider:
- Does the eatery look like a hole in the wall?
- Is it located on the fringes of town or on a side street?
- Do you order at the counter?
- Is the food served on disposable plates?
- Does the eatery occupy a very small space?
- Is the eatery’s reputation based on word of mouth recommendations and not traditional advertising?
“Yes” answers to these questions increase the likelihood of finding a Lincoln Lunch because these factors indicate lower prices. No guarantees, however. If you are really desperate for a Lincoln Lunch, head to a taco stand or scan the lunch specials at a Chinese restaurant. I have found many LL’s this way. Bon appetite!