The April issue of ShopSmart magazine recommends eight Merlot wines, all under $10 each. Where do you buy wine for less? The warehouse stores in Rhode Island do not sell alcohol, and none of the liquor stores in town seem to compete against each other. But buying online involves big shipping charges!
- Yellow Tail 2009 Merlot (Australia) – $6.50
Drink with blue cheese and walnuts, lamb kebab or ragout, and roast beef. In other words, food with big flavors!
- The Little Penguin 2009 Merlot (Australia) – $7
Sip with barbecued ribs, grilled steak, and dark chocolate.
More Merlot’s worth drinking
- Bogle 2008 (California) – $9
- Robert Mondavi Private Selection 2008 (California) – $8
- Charles Shaw 2008 (California, Trader Joe’s) – $3 Note, some folks love “three buck chuck,” other think it’s garbage.
- Hogue Columbia Valley 2008 (Washington) – $9.50
- Cono Sur 2008 (Chile) – $8
- Santa Ema 2008 (Chile) – $8.50
Tip: If you have leftover wine, pour it into a freezer tray, freeze, then pop into a ziplock bag for later use in stews and braises.