Here are the coupon sites on my short list.
DealBlabs.com – a new site that has a few added perks, like stats on how likely a particular store is to offer any given promotion. For instance, when I clicked on a Toys R Us coupon, it told me that there was a 71 percent chance the store would offer a coupon code and a 29 percent chance it would offer another type of discount.
I scrolled down past the coupons for Toys R Us and found a more detailed breakdown. DealBlabs believes there is a 14 percent chance the coupon code will be for free shipping, a 57 percent chance there will be a percentage off discount, and a 29 percent chance there will be a dollar off coupon. Another chart listing the days of the week shows when a coupon is most likely to be published or distributed.
The stats are based on info gathered over time. They are a great way to decide if you should hold out for a better coupon or use the one at hand. Either way, you’re making an informed decision. I’d love to see the site share data on what percentage and dollar off coupons are typical. In other words, is a 20 percent off coupon typical for a given retailer or extremely rare?
My other favorite sites for general retail coupons (grocery coupons are another story):
Savings.com – tons great coupons, including many exclusives. The site just launched a new program called DealPros where everyday folks share deals they find. Disclosure: Savings.com was a Frugal Fe$tival sponsor.
RetailMeNot.com – the grandma of online coupon sites still has great deals. The annoying thing is they often don’t tell you the coupon code. Instead you have to click on a link and shop before the code is applied to your checkout.
FreeShipping.org – my go to site for free shipping codes. Expect this site to get busy this holiday season as consumers pressure retailers to offer free shipping as a standard perk. Watch out for handling charges, though!
Where do you go for coupon codes? I’d love to know!