Labor Day has passed, and we have begun the (all-too) rapid march toward Christmas and the holiday season! While here at BargainBabe we’re often found showcasing frugal homemade gifts and DIY stocking stuffers for Christmas gift ideas, today we’re letting others do the work.
Here are 8 hot Christmas gift ideas for 2013.
1. Kindle Paperwhite ($119, $139 without ads): The newest Kindle e-reader features longer battery life (Amazon claims up to 8 weeks), and front-lit touchscreen for reading in the dark. The current version of the original Kindle (with 4-week battery and no light) is now only $69 with ads.
2. Dandycase waterproof smartphone case ($11.99 on Amazon): Take your phone on an adventure! Case claims to be waterproof to 100 feet and features clear plastic that will allow you to take pictures and video, and operate touchscreen through the plastic. Fits smartphones up to 5.3″ diagonally (other sizes available).
3. Rechargeable LED reading glasses ($29.95 +shipping): Up to 2.5 hours of reading in bed with a low light that won’t keep your bedmate awake! Available in strengths from 1.0-2.5. Battery-operated versions available on Amazon starting at $8.49.
4. Bento boxes ($5 and up): Make lunchtime more fun with these Japanese-inspired nesting food containers! Featuring small, individual-serving-sized sections packed perfectly inside a larger dish, these can be found at Amazon, kitchen stores, or for just a few dollars each at discount stores in your local international district or Asian grocery store.
5. Magnetic measuring spoons: These use magnets in the handles to nest together, but break apart instantly for use so that you don’t have to dangle all the other sizes (and get them all dirty!) while you’re trying to measure ingredients. I have a set of Pyrex measuring spoons that have made baking fun again. Add a set of magnetic measuring cups too!
6. Costco wool socks ($9.99 for 3 pair): Costco sells Kirkland Signature brand merino wool or wool-blend socks (similar to Smartwool) for about 1/3 the price. Available in single-color, utilitarian-looking design in the men’s section, and now with some stripes and attractive colors in the women’s section.
7. Shatterproof wine glasses ($12.95 for 4): These Govino shatterproof wine glasses (stemless) are perfect for backyards, camping, or even just everyday use. They have an elegant look and are also available in stemless champagne glasses or a decanter. They’re also recyclable, but why would you want to toss them?
8. Rory’s Story Cubes ($7.72 on Amazon): This unique and creative game for all ages provides hours of family fun in a travel-sized container.
What unique gifts are you giving this year?
Crystal Stapley says
Love the magnetic measuring spoon idea. For fun we started giving out actual lumps of coal, mainly to adults, last year and it was a hit.
Never too early for Christmas
@Crystal “Never too early for Christmas” That is truth!
Gwen H. says
Costco wool socks sound great
Julie Hills says
@Gwen, they are! I’m wearing mine right now!
Bargain Babe says
Hahaha, if only there was a Costco near us. 🙁
Bargain Babe says
My extended family has tried a lot of types of gift giving for Christmas. We’ve done secret santa, set spending limits, given cards only, etc. This year we are doing couple gifts (most of us have paired off). So my husband and I will give one gift to my mother and step-father, and they will give us one gift. Cuts down the shopping time, the spending, but still lets everyone express their love and gratitude for having each other in our lives. I think it’s a great solution!