With just three weeks until Halloween, are you feeling the crunch to pick a great costume? Even if you’re not Martha Stewart, there’s still plenty of time to pull together something creative and timely.
Most of these celebrity Halloween costumes combine pieces you may already have in your own closet with things you could borrow or find at a local thrift store.
Here are 11 celebrity Halloween costumes for 2014:
1. Bridal Angelina Jolie (see above). Find an old wedding dress or white dress at your local thrift shop (assuming you’re not ready to draw all over your own). Use markers to add “kid’s art” to the back.
2. Zombie Joan Rivers. While everyone else is going as regular Joan Rivers (fur coats, lots of jewelry, and a blond wig), add some zombie makeup for a timely touch.
3. Pregnant Princess Kate. Poor Kate. Hyperemesis gravidarum is the pits (I had two pregnancies worth). If you have a “Kate” look going on (brown hair, fake princess crown from the dollar store, sensible-but-elegeant ensemble), just add an air sickness bag for that timely twist! Bonus points for wearing a baby doll (Prince George) in a sling or carrying one on your hip.
4. Piper Chapman (Orange is the New Black). Maybe you’d be lucky enough to find orange scrubs at a secondhand store. If not, Grab anything orange (sweats, leggings, sweat-shirt, t-shirt and cut it off to look like a prison jumpsuit. Carry a screwdriver. Thanks Angie!
5. Hot Mugshot Guy (at right). For the men out there, this one just calls for a white t-shirt and some facial/neck makeup to replicate the tattoos. Print up a fake convict number board and wear it on a string around your neck to tip off you’re in a mugshot. Don’t forget the smoldering eyes.
6. Sue Sylvester. What a Glee-ful chance to wear your most comfy satin track suit all night!
7. Bob Costas with pinkeye. Another one for the guys. A pair of slacks and a suit jacket from your own closet, dressed up with facial paint to make your eyes look red and puffy. Carry a handheld microphone and wear a small pin with the Olympics rings (can make out of cardboard and glue to a button, or pin on).
8. Pharrell Williams (at right). The hat! If you can’t find a giant hat in this vein, pick up a brown-rimmed hat at a thrift store and fashion a paper bag into the head part. Bonus if you can pass it around at a party and get your friends to put $1000 in like Ellen did at the Oscars. Top it off with an Adidas-style satin jacket and some gold chains.
9. Mrs. Doubtfire. While going as a zombie Joan Rivers seems funny, zombie Robin Williams isn’t quite as much. Instead, pay homage by resurrecting his beloved character Mrs. Doubtfire. A stuffed bra, some nylons, an old lady wig and glasses, some frumpy clothes, and a dousing of baby powder to top it all off.
10. Snooki. Snooki has always been a fun costume — a great excuse to wear a tiny leopard-print skirt, high heels, and fake nails. Update your look this year with a baby on each hip!
11. Shia Labeouf. Another easy out costume with a paper bag for a guy, if you already have a nice suit. Write “I am not famous anymore” on a paper bag. Cut holes for eyes. Done.