Hollywood’s biggest night is just around the corner. If you’re planning on throwing an Academy Awards party, you can create glitz and glam on a budget with these celebworthy suggestions.
8 ideas for a stellar Oscar night.
1. Oscar party cookies. I took a standard gingerbread man cookie cutter and bent it so it looked more like an Oscar statue. I tinted the icing with Wilton’s golden icing color, $2.29. Wilton’s gold pearl dust powder, which can be found at Walmart for $3.46, was then applied with a paintbrush for that sparkly look.
2. Star-shaped chocolates. I bought a star-shaped candy mold (on clearance at Walmart for $5.73) and filled them with white and dark melting chocolates ($4.70 per bag at Walmart.) Wilton’s gold pearl dust powder gives an edible lustre.
3. Add a festive “red carpet” for your guests. This felt red carpet runner is available from Party City for only $6.99.
4. Buy your tableware from the dollar store. Skip the party store – I found gold, silver and black disposable plates, napkins and cutlery at the 99 Cents Only Store. Similar items at Party City will run you $4.99 and up.
5. Pop your own popcorn. I found these paper popcorn bags at The Dollar Tree to add to the movie theme.
6. Print free Oscar ballots for your guests. Have every guest who wants to fill out a ballot chip in $5. Who ever guesses the most correct answers wins the pot.
7. Cheese and crackers. Use a star-shaped cookie cutter to make the cheese into star shapes. I found star-shaped crackers by Valley Lavosh and decorated with festive toothpicks.
8. Oscar cupcakes. I made these one year and they were a big winner. I Googled the movie posters for each Academy nominated movie and printed out small versions of each poster on glossy paper, which I taped onto toothpicks. Each cupcake was then sprinkled with Wilton’s gold pearl dust powder.