This recipe for watermelon sherbert comes from the August 2011 issue of Better Homes & Gardens. It has four ingredients and costs just $.27 per serving!
5 c cubed, seeded watermelon
1/2 c sugar
1 envelope unflavored gelatin (not something I have on hand 🙁 )
1/3 c cranberry juice (would other juices work?)
1. Process watermelon in blender or food processor until smooth. It should end up making about 3 cups of pureed watermelon. Add sugar.
2. Combine gelatin and cranberry juice in a
small saucepan and let stand for 5 minutes, then stir over low heat until gelatin is totally dissolved.
3. Stir juice-gelatin mixture into watermelon, the pour into an 8″ x 8″ x 2″ baking pan. Cover and freeze until firm, about 2 hours.
4. Break of frozen mixture and pour into a mixing bowl that you have chilled. Beat on medium to high speed until sherbert is fluffy. Pour back into pan, cover, and freeze for 6 hours.
5. Let the sherbet sit out for five minutes before serving. This recipe makes eight half-cup servings.
The recipe did not mention whether the sherbet will stay good for a few days or weeks, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t. As long as it is covered in the freezer and you let it sit at room temperature for five minutes before serving, it should be fine.