I have at least a half dozen gift cards that I’ve been meaning to use for months – what about you? Now, there’s a way to get cold, hard cash for these lingering pieces of plastic: Coinstar Exchange kiosks. We’re so excited about these new kiosks that we made a video about them!
And we’re giving away two $25 gift cards to Macy’s, courtesy of Coinstar. Entry details below!
How Coinstar Exchanges work
- Plug in your gift cards and you’ll get an offer for 60-85% of the value of the card.
- If you accept the offer, you’ll get a voucher that you can exchange for cash immediately.
- Kiosks accept gift cards from nearly 150 retailers.
- The new kiosks are bright yellow (the original ones are green).
- Find a yellow Exchange kiosk in these cities – and the corresponding grocery store.
- Austin – Randalls
- Boston – Stop and Shop
- Chicago – Jewel Osco
- Cleveland – Giant Eagle
- Columbus, OH – Giant Eagle
- Denver – King Soopers and Safeway
- Houston – Randalls
- Fresno – Vons
- Las Vegas – Vons
- Los Angeles – Vons
- Philadelphia – Acme
- Phoenix – Safeway and Albertsons
- Pittsburgh – Giant Eagle
- Seattle, Spokane, and Portland, OR – Safeway
- San Diego – Vons
- Northern California – Safeway
Find a Coinstar Exchange kiosk here
To help prevent fraud, the kiosk reads your drivers license and prints your ID number on the voucher. When you take the voucher to the counter to redeem the cash, the store employee will also check your ID to make sure that you are the rightful owner of the voucher. No need to enter your social, and the information is always secure.
My take on Coinstar Exchange
Getting 60-85% of the value of a gift card is not ideal, however, if you are never going to use a gift card, and you can’t re-gift it, why not get cash for it? What I like about the Exchange kiosks is that you can avoid creating an account on a gift card buy/sell site (like Cardpool.com), you can avoid sending your unwanted gift cards in, waiting for them to be verified, and then waiting to get paid. It’s quick and easy!
If you dump your change into a regular Coinstar machine (the green ones) you can get 100% of your money back as a gift card. There are DOZENS of stores to choose from, including grocery stores and Amazon. That’s as close to cash as you’re going to get – for free!
Enter to win a $25 Macy’s gift card (two winners)
This contest ends Sunday July 6, 2014 at 11:59 p.m. EST.This contest has been extended to end on Sunday July 13, 2014 at 11:59 p.m. EST.
Watch this video about one man’s quest to pay for everything with gift cards
How many gifts cards do you have lying around?
I was compensated for this campaign. All thoughts and opinions are my own.