Spring break is fast approaching and it’s time to start making plans. On a budget? No problem. You can still have fun. Follow these five tips to get the most for your buck and then check out our cheap Spring Break suggestions below.
Here’s what do do:
1. Be sincere with yourself about how much money you can afford to spend.
2. Start planning. The sooner you do this, the most likely you’ll be to find deals on hotels and flights.
3. Book flights and make reservations right now to get the lowest prices available. Word on the street is that the cheapest fares are released for bookings on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
4. Flight deals not meeting your standards? Consider alternative means of transportation like trains, buses and even bicycles. I know of a couple of guys that rode their bikes from L.A. to San Fransisco and took rest stops at friends and families’ places. They saved money on transportation, food and hotels. If you are flying, try to do so with a group. Gather up your friends to get a group discount on accommodations and other expenses.
5. Don’t be afraid to haggle. In order to take vacations on the cheap you must ask for discounts. Make sure to be polite and courteous.
Volunteer Travel – Find organizations that send volunteers to different states or countries to do volunteer work. Once there, you’ll be able to do some good and sight seeing. Look for organizations that need volunteers or ask at your school with whatever department handles the study abroad programs to see if a volunteer program exists. Your local library may also have info on volunteer programs.
Become a tourist – Even if you’ve lived in the same place since you were a child there’s a chance you haven’t done all the touristy things others do when they visit your town. I’m considering taking a train up north to Santa Barbara. The ride would be scenic and it would cost me less than driving. A round trip ticket costs $50. In a past post, Bargain Babe wrote about low cost things to do in San Diego and Santa Barbara and I just may take advantage of this cheap vacation.