If Christmas left you low on money, there’s no need to skip the New Year’s celebration. Below I share tips to save money on your New Year’s party. All partied out? No problem. I’ll also share frugal ideas to have fun without throwing a party.
For those having a get-together, save by implementing these suggestions.
1. BYOB (Bring your own booze) – If you plan on drinking, have friends pitch in a bottle of wine. This will help your bottom line as you won’t have to pay for all the booze yourself. Champagne is expensive, go for a nice wine that compliments the food you’ll be serving.
2. DIY noisemakers – You can find noisemakers at the dollar store. Or have little kids make some out of the toilet paper rolls. Just add dry rice or beans, seal them, and decorate.Heck, pots and pans will work in a pinch.
3. Reuse Christmas decorations – Gold and silver ornaments work well for New Year’s as well. Try adding them to a glass vase to add a festive touch.
4. Give out mementos – I’m not suggesting you spend more money on gifts. Instead set up a background and provide a digital camera and props to your guest. You can make New Year’s hats, 2012 glasses, and mustaches out of paper. All you have to do is tape a stick to the side so they can hold on to them. Let them go crazy taking photos. The following day you can email the funny photos.
5. Be your own DJ – No need to hire someone. Have your friends bring in mix CDs or make use of sites that provide free music like Pandora.
6. Timing is everything – The earlier the party starts, the more you’ll have to spend on food. Having your party start a little later can help you get away with serving appetizers and dessert. Potlucks are also fun.
I like to keep New Year’s Eve celebrations casual, and have spent many sitting at home watching the Time’s Square ball drop.
7. Free New Year’s Events – You don’t have to stay in to save money! Do a quick search online for free New Year’s Eve events. Some cities have free fireworks shows. If you’re using public transportation to get around, you may not even have to pay as some offer free rides all night long.
8. Catch up on flicks – If the holidays are your only time off. You might just want to stay in and catch up on movies or TV shows. Movie and DVD services can help you do this on the cheap.
9. Get your beauty sleep – If you have little ones, they may not be able to stay up so get some rest. You can celebrate in the morning over pancakes and eggs. Now that’s a good way to start the new year!
How are you celebrating the new year? I’m going to try and stay up as long as I can, but come midnight I may be snoring.