A fashionable and eco-minded friend of mine loves making her own statement necklaces like the fancy ones you see in magazines, at right. These necklaces will set you back about $10 to $30 at a store, but you can make your own and save money! I haven’t made one because I’m waiting for the perfect old T-shirt to upcycle into something fashionable and green. My friend has made several and showed me how. This necklace is super easy to make.
You’ll need an old T-shirt, scissors, and a couple of minutes. You can add flare to the necklace by incorporating beads. Here’s what to do:
- Cut the hem off the T-shirt. You won’t be using it.
- Next cut the body of the T-shirt into quarter-inch strips.
- Once you have the desired amount of strips, stretch them out one by one until they’re really thin.
- Then cut one more quarter-inch strip off the T-shirt and cut this strip in half. If you are adding beads, you can thread them on these strips, which will be used to tie the other strips together. You can also braid these strips or if you know how to knit, you can skip cutting this last strip and instead knit strips to tie the side of the necklace together, like the one pictured above.
- Lastly, put the necklace straps around your neck and grab all of them on one side. Use the beaded, braided or knit strips to tie the necklace on the sides so they are not loose. (You can also do it on just one side like the necklace pictured above.) To hide the ends of the beaded or braided strips either cut them off or tuck them underneath.
These are a great frugal gift so start making them for friends!