- Everything that is being swapped at a free swap is free. Some free swaps charge admission, which indicates higher quality items will be swapped. Admission to the Frugal Festival is $5 if you bring swappables. If you come empty handed, admission is $10. Admission is free at 2p.m. for the final hour of the swap.
- Bring things to the swap that you no longer want, but that are in good working order. Clothes should be clean with no stains or holes. Electronics should work. Games should have all their pieces.
- The idea is that everyone brings things to the swap. Some swaps are loosely organized and you just set them out on a table or blanket and walk away. Once you set them down, you no longer own them. They are free for anyone to take. At other swaps, such as the Frugal Festival, the organizers sort the swappables to make it easier to find what you want.
- Most swaps do not insist that you bring things to swap, but it is only good manners that you bring things to add to the swap.
- If someone brings a box of fresh picked tomatoes, you would not take the entire box. You would take one or two of the items so that others could share. Let us not be greedy.
- If a swap is running for several hours, it is fun to stay for the whole time and see what kinds of items show up. It is a nice community time. You meet nice people. You can bring something you would like to share, like a craft or a talent such as massage or balloon sculptures. However, if you just want to drop in and leave, that is fine as well.
- If the swap is being held outdoors, you may want to bring a chair and shade. You may even bring a table or a blanket to put things on.
- Bring something to put your new treasures in while walking around. If you put something down, it becomes fair game again and it just might be taken by someone else while your back is turned. If the item is big, you might want to put it in your car so you can continue to browse. At the Frugal Festival, each swapper will receive a free reusable bag to put their finds in.
A free swap is a nice way to get rid of things you no longer need and send them off to a loving family that want them. It’s a win-win situation.
Hope to see you at the Frugal Festival June 19, 2010 at the NoHo Performing Arts Center, which is located at 11020 Magnolia Blvd in North Hollywood. The swap drop off begins at 10 a.m. and runs until noon. From noon to 1 p.m. the organizers and volunteers sort the swappables. The swap begins promptly at 1 p.m. and ends at 3 p.m. We are primarily swapping clothes, shoes, and accessories, but will also have areas for media and housewares. For more info, visit the Frugal Festival website.