As a new mom, the number one thing on my wish list this year is a full night’s sleep. I’ve asked my husband for help with nighttime feedings, since the baby hasn’t gotten the hint yet. From her, all I need are a few more gorgeous smiles that make it all worth it.
Now that I’m a mom myself, I have a new appreciation for my own mother and the years of sacrifice and dedication she poured into her children. But I know that she really means it when she says “doesn’t need anything.”
So instead of blowing a wad of cash on some “thing” that will need dusting on the shelf, I’m going to show my appreciation for her years of lost sleep with gifts from this list of frugal gifts for Mother’s Day.
1. Paint a ceramic plant pot, and plant it with her favorite herbs or flowers. You can use regular house paint or acrylic craft paints (just avoid water soluble paints).
2. Make these homemade photo coasters out of tiles from your local home improvement store, mod podge, and acrylic sealant.
3. Make decoupaged candle holders with tissue paper and mason jars or vases from Goodwill or the Dollar Store.
4. If she likes to hike, pick a bouquet of wildflowers from a favorite trail and arrange a hiking date with her.
5. Make old-school art for her fridge by drawing a picture of your family with crayons or finger paints. Enlist the help of your own children if you must, but don’t be afraid to make bad art on your own!
6. Use fabric paints to decorate a plain apron or tablecloth.
7. Frame a picture of your mom with her kids, with a quote about motherhood (you can purchase a frame one size up from the photo you have to leave room for writing), or make a short 4×6-sized album of photos interspersed with handwritten quotes on 3″ x 5″ index cards.
8. Make a mix CD (or MP3 playlist, if your mom’s technologically advanced) of songs from your family history.
9. Put together a gift basket of lotions, candles, and sweets from the 99-cent store.
10. Turn the tables and cook her a batch of the cookies you always beg her to send.
11. Take her out to happy hour, or set a date with her to split a bottle of her favorite wine and make a point to find out something about her you didn’t know before…. A few years back I found out my mom had climbed Mount Rainier and was engaged to someone else before my father!
12. On the slightly-less-frugal-but-really-cool side, if your mom has an iPhone you can make her a personalized photo iPhone case from Shutterfly! Available for iPhone 3/3g/4/4s/5, from $35-45 plus shipping. Shutterfly is offering 20-50% off many photo gifts (including the phone cases) through 5/1/13, and free shipping on orders of $50+ through 5/2/13 (use code SHIP50 at checkout).
What are you getting your mom for Mother’s Day?