This is a guest post from reader Marie.
There are countless fun and entertaining events and places all around the USA that we can enjoy either free or at very little cost. These events are geared towards adults, families, seniors or kids. The possibilities are endless. Some examples include:
- Museums to cater to every taste and budget
- Senior Center facilities for fun, food and friendship
- Churches for spiritual support, entertainment and companionship
- Low-cost or free kids entertainment
- Low-cost or free kids fun and educational activities
Museums to cater to every taste and budget
To find free museums, festivities and events in any US city, visit Free-Attractions.com. Select the city of your choice and look at the great free choices available. Always call ahead to confirm as the site has some outdated information. Here are a few examples of free museums in…
- Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller Empire State Plaza
- Washington Park
- New York State Museum
- Albany Urban Cultural Park Visitor Center
- Albany Pine BushNew York State Capitol Tour
- Bronx Zoo
- Delaware Park
- Karpeles Manuscript Library Museum
- Manatee Viewing Center (Apollo Beach)
- Kelly Park (Apopka)
- National Key Deer Refuge (Big Pine)
- Boca Raton Historical Society (Boca Raton)
- Spanish River Park (Boca Raton)
- Gumbo Limbo Nature Center (Boca Raton)
- Desoto National Memorial (Bradenton)
- Manatee Village Historical Park (Brooksville)
- Rodgers Christmas House Village (Cape Coral)
- Lower Suwannee National Wildlife Refuge (Chiefland)
California…(six pages of wonderful free entertainment!)
- Columbia State Historic Park (Coloma)
- Port Chicago Naval Magazine National Memorial (Concord)
- Nimbus Salmon/Steelhead Fish Hatchery (Cordova)
- Redwood National Park (Crescent City)
- Jelly Belly Center (Fairfield)
- Anheuser-Busch Brewery Tours (Fairfield)
- Manzanar National Historic Site (Independence)
- UCLA Armand Hammer Museum of Art and Cultural Center (Los Angeles)
- The Getty (Los Angeles)
- Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County (Los Angeles)
Senior Center facilities for fun and friendship
For a list of Senior Centers in any city, do an advanced Google search and plug in the city or zip code where you want to find a senior center. Most senior centers are open on weekdays and offer not only very low-cost nutritious lunches but also a chance to get together with peers keeping busy with the classes of one’s choice, such as dancing, knitting, crochet, cards, etc.
Churches for spiritual comfort, entertainment and companionship
Many churches in the US offer spiritual guidance, church services, concerts, hikes, crafts, book clubs, Taize, and other programs. To find information on various churches, look for ones near you in the Yellow Pages.
For a variety of free or low-cost entertainment for children, GoCityKids has a handy page that lets you search for activities. Click on your city. If you live in Los Angeles, you will find information on Griffith Park, O’Melveny Park, Westwood Branch Library, and Audubon Center at Debs Park.
Natural Treasures: Mountain trails, beaches, etc.
Don’t forget the natural treasures of our great country – hikes on mountain trails or along the beautiful beaches – fun for all the family. To find local beaches, go to Google and enter “beaches” and the city or state of your choice. To find mountains for hiking, camping and fun, repeat the Google search but enter “mountains in” and the city or state of your choice. Click on items that interest you to find out more details about campsites, costs, etc.
In short, wonderful entertainment, free or almost free, is just a click away on your computer. Start clicking – and have fun!