Last week I received an unexpected surprise in the mail – a magazine I had not subscribed to called Fresh Home. I considered it junk mail until I took a read and realized it’s like a combination of Real Simple and Better Homes & Gardens. Lots of craft projects to dress up your home, recipes, and simple living ideas.
One of the most interesting articles shared 12 simple projects to decorate your home for the Christmas and the winter holidays. I was not able to find them online, but did spot additional holiday decor projects on FreshHomeBlog.com, including the table linens at right. I summarized my favorite five projects for you below.
1. Fold thick decorative paper into medium sized cones. Fills with cinnamon sticks, pine cones, fragrant branches, potpourri, whole cloves, and more. Hang with ribbon or string.
2. Fill a large glass dish or bowl with ball ornaments. It is particularly eye-catching when you use monotone balls and tie them with bits of ribbon of a contrasting color. For example, white or silver balls with red ribbon.
3. Gather all your ribbon and form mesh wire into a cone. Tie the ribbon together at the top and drape it down the sites of the cone, creating a festive tree. Hang it with fishing wire or rest on a flat surface.
4. Gather a plastic bucket or container, a 1-litter plastic bottle, and pretty berried branches. Fill the 1-liter bottle with stones and place in the middle of the bucket at a slight angle. Arrange the branches around the edge of the bucket. Fill with water and leave outside to freeze (or clear our your entire freezer!). Once it’s frozen, remove the bucket and place on a tray to catch melting water. Replace the bottle with a bottle of wine for a very festive wine display!
5. Make your own advent calender out of cardboard boxes. Cut out 25 mini-doors and number them one to 25. Behind each door, tape candy, a coin, or ornament to put on the tree. You can dress up the boxes with spray paint, pretty paper, crayons, pens, glitter and more!