We’re considering upgrading to LED light bulbs in our home, but at the store we choked. LEDs cost a pretty penny! However, I’m told that LED light bulbs last so long they are worth the significant upfront cost. Being the Bargain Babe, I decided to crunch the numbers to prove – or disprove it.
Are LED light bulbs worth the money?
I started to gather data when I came across this awesome chart, which the folks at EarthEasy.com were kind enough to let me share. It sums up all the relevant info.
So LEDs win, right?
One LED light bulb costs 800 percent more than one CFL bulb and 2700 percent more than one incandescent. But over the life of that one LED, you will save $4 over a CFL and $266.75 over an incandescent.
I had NO idea LEDs were such a huge savings over incandescent bulbs, a few of which we still have in our home. (The rest of our bulbs are CFLs.) Did you?
Did you notice that LEDs are not a huge savings over CFLs?
LEDs are still relatively expensive. But if you can find them on sale or have a coupon, the savings will tip in your favor. Here are two more important environmental reasons why LEDs win out over CFLs.
- CFLs contain mercury, which is toxic
- CFLs generate twice as much carbon dioxide emissions (via the coal utilities burn to create electricity) as LEDs
What’s the bottom line to save money on light bulbs?
The numbers don’t lie. If you have any incandescent light bulbs in your house, run to the hardware store and upgrade now! You can also find LEDs online and at many big box stores, like Target.
So many brands! Which to buy?
- The Philips L. Prize LED got a score of 10 out of 10 from the review site TopTenReviews. It ranks nine other LED bulbs for comparison.
- The Cree Warm White places first at TheWireCutter, booting the Philips L. Prize from it’s perch.
Looking for more info comparing light bulbs?
- Pros and cons of each type of bulb on GreenAmerica.org
- This Consumer Reports video (no subscription needed) compares light quality, light direction, and brightness
- Home Depot’s LED buying guide
Have you invested in LED light bulbs? Why not?