How many of these bad habits do you have? As the online shopping season gears up, even more people than ever plan to shop online this holiday season. I’m loathe to point fingers at you because I, too, have some of these bad habits. However, there is time now to recognize where we are putting ourselves at risk, accept we are not perfect, and take action.
How many of these 7 online shopping mistakes are you making?
- More than 50 percent do not check to see if a Website is secure, according to an Experian survey. To figure out if a website is secure, glance at the URL (the http…part.) If it begins with “https” instead of “http,” it means the website is secured using an SSL Certificate (the s stands for secure). Bottom line, if you don’t see the “s” don’t shop there!
- A whopping 50 percent do not have all of their Web-enabled devices password-protected because:
- It is a hassle to enter a password (30 percent)
- Or they do not feel it is necessary (25 percent)
- 15 percent keep a written record of passwords and PINs in their purse or wallet or on a mobile device or computer. (I’m totally guilty of this!)
- Not enough people compare prices down to the minute they buy. Did you know Amazon constantly changes it’s prices depending on your IP address and your shopping habits? Use an Amazon price comparison tool, such as Camelcamelcamel.com to look at a price’s history.
- More of us could wait longer before we buy. Do you really need a third pair of red shoes? (In my case, the answer is yes!) Waiting two weeks was my mother’s rule when I wanted a haircut. I think it’s also a good rule for major purchases.
- We play easy to get. Did you know that some retailers will email you a coupon if you leave items in your cart? The extra incentive may be the extra push you need. And if not, waiting a day or two may net a nice coupon.
- We don’t use Ebates. The site gives you a kick back for shopping through them, from 1-50% of your total bill on a retailer’s site. I’ve saved more than $4,000 since joining years ago. You’ll also get a nice carrot for joining – a $10 gift card to Target, Macy’s Walmart, or Kohl’s, your choice. Join here.